Go to: San Francisco Photos
The California Academy of Sciences - San Francisco
The California Academy of Sciences was founded in 1853 as the first scientific institution in the West. Over time, it came to include an aquarium, planetarium, and various exhibit halls.
In 2003, the facility closed in preparation for a new building and new vision. Animals and exhibits were temporarily relocated to Howard Street in the South of Market area.
The new Academy, completed in 2008, is more than a structural transition. It embraces a philosophy of sustainability, and integrates that principle into the exhibits, into the building's structure and function, and in the institution's educational missions.
The photos in this gallery provide a glimpse into the new California Academy of Sciences -- open in September 2008.
|California Academy of Sciences Building||Architect Renzo Piano||Piazza||The Swamp|
|Albino Alligator Claude||African Hall||African Penguins Pose||Rainforest Exterior|
|Rainforest Interior||Rainforest Dove||Amazonian Flooded Forest||Philippine Coral Reef|